Friday, June 18, 2010

Steve Jobs & Rashmi Bansal

I recently bought Rashmi Bansal's two best selling books - Stay Hungry, Stay Foolish & Connect the Dots.
Today i was browsing Rediff, when i stumbled across the famous Stanford speech by Steve Jobs. I was reading the speech, when I came across the words of Steve Jobs - the same words which Rashmi has used as the title for her books.

Some quotes from the same speech:

If I had never dropped out, I would have never dropped in on this calligraphy class, and personal computers might not have the wonderful typography that they do. Of course it was impossible to connect the dots looking forward when I was in college. But it was very, very clear looking backwards ten years later. Again, you can't connect the dots looking forward; you can only connect them looking backwards. So you have to trust that the dots will somehow connect in your future. You have to trust in something -- your gut, destiny, life, karma, whatever.

On the back cover of their final issue was a photograph of an early morning country road, the kind you might find yourself hitchhiking on if you were so adventurous.

Beneath it were the words: "Stay Hungry. Stay Foolish." It was their farewell message as they signed off. Stay Hungry. Stay Foolish. And I have always wished that for myself. And now, as you graduate to begin anew, I wish that for you. Stay Hungry. Stay Foolish.
Hmm Interesting, I had read this speech some years back, courtesy some forward from a friend, but never registered the same in my mind - remember those were the days of the famous forwards, Bill Gates, Larry Ellison, APJ Abdul Kalam etc etc.

This speech was very inspiring, I guess the very inspiration from Rashmi to write about people who were able to Stay Hungry & Stay Foolish & who were also able to connect the dots in their lives.

No comments: